Monday, January 23, 2012

Seedy brussels sprouts

These sprouts are light and crispy!
I was running out of dijon mustard, so I decide to try a variation on my favorite dijon sprouts recipe.
I really like this take on sprouts.  The sprouts have a lighter, less oily, taste than the sprouts in the original recipe and yet they are very flavorful.  I also used very little oil, so these sprouts are also pretty healthy!  I like the look of the black mustard seeds in this dish.

Note: I've written this recipe with a small (1.5 quart) crockpot in mind.  If you wish to use a larger crock, scale up the volumes of the other ingredients accordingly (you want to be sure your crock is at least 1/2 full to avoid burning the food!).

You will need:
  • 1 pint of brussels sprouts
  • 2 spoonfuls of dijon mustard
  • 2 spoonfuls of mustard seeds
  • 2 spoonfuls of oil (vegetable or olive)
  • 1/2 spoonful of salt
  1. Chop off the bottom/stem part of the sprouts and then quarter them.
  2. Place quarterd sprouts in crockpot.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and toss until most of the sprouts are covered with some oil.
  4. Cook on low until soft on the inside and somewhat crispy on the outside.  Check on the sprouts every 2 hours or so and stir them.  In my crock (a 1.5 qt Chefmate unit from Target), the sprouts cooked in a little over 4 hours.
  5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment