Sunday, April 1, 2012

Buttery Chardonnay Brussels Sprouts



I didn't think it was possible to top my old favorite brussels sprouts.  I had so loved their strong mustard flavor and delightful balance between crunchiness and moisture.  But these brussels sprouts--they were simply amazing.  Creamy, buttery, a little sweet and a little salty, with a touch of garlic, salt, and pepper and white wine mixed into the sauce - I'm hungry just thinking about them!  I think these are now my favorite brussels sprouts ever.  I think the secret may be the white wine (I used some leftover chardonnay) and coconut butter, which made everything very rich and creamy.  I will definitely be making these brussels sprouts again!

You will need:
  • Brussels sprouts
  • White wine of choice (I used chardonnay)
  • Coconut butter
  • Raisins, sliced fresh garlic cloves, salt, and pepper to taste

  1. Chop the ends off your burssels sprouts and then quarter the remaining sprouts and put them in your slow cooker.  Be sure that your slow cooker is at least 2/3 full (but not completely full!) for even cooking.
  2. Toss the sprouts with a few spoonfuls of coconut butter.  If your coconut butter is solid, nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds, or until it liquifies prior to tossing with the sprouts.
  3. Add remaining ingredients to taste.  Be generous with the garlic cloves and raisins-they work really well here!
  4. Add wine - approximately one-two cups of wine to for every one quart of sprouts seems to work well, but this measurement is pretty flexible.
  5. Cook on low (or medium, or high!) in the slow cooker until the sprouts are soft.  This may take a few hours.  Taste and adjust the seasoning.  
  6. Enjoy!



The pictures don't do these sprouts justice.  They're GOOOOOOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment