I remove some of the extra spices and garlic, creating a more mild but deeply satisfying eggplant dish well suited to my palate. I use powdered spices here instead of fresh, for convenience. To make this eggplant dish you will need:
- 1 medium-size eggplant
- ~1 tablespoon or more of powdered ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric
- chili and salt powder to taste
- ~1 tablespoon of oil of choice (olive oil works well here)
- plain yogurt and cilantro for garnish
- Wash and cube the eggplant.
- Add cubed eggplant and spices to the slow cooker, toss to coat.
- Add oil, toss again to coat. Make sure that your slow cooker is 2/3-3/4 full.
- Cook on low until eggplant is tender. If you are in the kitchen and interested in the progress of your eggplant, check on it every 1-2 hours or so. Cooking time is flexible here, the eggplant tends to be forgiving if it is cooked longer than necessary. My eggplant cooked for about 3 hours.
- Garnish with yogurt and cilantro.
wrap. If you enjoyed this post, also check out our slow-cooked red lentil dal and our rice pudding.