Saturday, April 7, 2012

Three Ingredient Quinoa Biscuits

These biscuits are delicious served warm and topped with coconut butter.
These biscuits are easy to make and quite good. They come out of the oven quickly and have a lovely golden color, a soft and crumbly texture, and a mild flavor.  Oh, and they happen to be pretty healthy too - each biscuit has approximately 130 calories!  You can make the biscuits in muffin tins (this was originally supposed to be a muffin recipe but the result was more biscuit like).  The biscuits require only three ingredients: quinoa flour, baking powder, and Sprite.  The Sprite works surprisingly well here - it has hints of citrus which make the biscuits taste a bit lighter than they might have otherwise, as they contain dense quinoa flour.  You can easily make a lower-calorie version if you substitute a sugar-free or diet soda for the Sprite.

You will need:

  • 3 cups of quinoa flour (you can make your own if you can't find it)
  • 2-3 spoonfuls of baking powder
  • Salt to taste (optional, recommended)
  • 12 oz of Sprite (I used one of the glass bottles where the soda is made with sugar rather than corn syrup.  Any lemon-lime or citrus flavored soda, including diet, would probably work well here)

  1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
  2. Mix the dry ingredients.
  3. Add Sprite and stir until blended.  You should get a pretty thick dough.  If you don't plan on serving topped with some melted butter or oil, you may want to mix some into the batter as well.
  4. Pour batter into 12 lined or greased muffin tins.
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
  6. Enjoy!  They taste even better the next day.  You can split a biscuit with a knife, then nuke the biscuit halves in the microwave for 20 seconds or until warm, and then spread with some coconut butter, or better yet a salted coconut butter!




This stack of biscuits was actually much more stable than it looked!






See the nice, crumbly golden tops?

Nice texture.  Yum!

Biscuit, unwrapped!



Really, the best way to serve them - with melted salty coconut butter on top!



4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's crazy! I have to give you kudos for style and imagination, but I won't drink soda how can I cook with it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had written a nice reply but this site was fighting me about my sign in - Just use soda water and some Stevia. I shared my version of the Almond crackers, but I'll post over at Citizen Dog instead (many share recipes there (within GoComics).

      Delete
  2. I just tried making these tonight, and I would say they are a success! I love the simplicity. Will be making these part of my regular rotation of recipes! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. worked out pretty good I used a cookie sheet and well it gave me the idea this might be a good griddle cake type deal with a little agave nectar.

    ReplyDelete