Thursday, February 23, 2012

No-bake vegan shortbread cookies

These cookies taste like shortbread with orange zest.  You don't need to bake them, and you can make them sugar-free.  To further sweeten the deal, they're super high in protein and gluten-free!  You will need:
  • Coconut butter (coconut oil would probably also work here, but I haven't tried it)
  • Unflavored soy protein powder (you could probably use another protein powder, but I think soy protein powder has a flour-y taste that works well here)
  • Orange marmalade (I used sugar free Polaner)
  • Vanilla extract to taste (optional)
  1. Microwave a few spoonfuls of the coconut butter so that it melts.
  2. Add soy protein powder and marmalade and stir until a thick dough forms.  Stir in vanilla extract if desired.  Start with approximately equal amounts of the coconut butter, protein powder, and marmalade, then adjust as necessary to get a good consistency.
  3. Shape the batter into cookie shapes with your hands.
  4. Put the cookies in the fridge for a few hours.
  5. Enjoy! 








If you like these cookies, you will probably also enjoy our Peanut Butter Balls!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm seriously impressed/amazed/astonished at this idea, it's brilliant! I can't wait to try them, but I'll probably use vanilla protein powder as an extra flavor kick. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emilia! Post back with your results and a link when you try it!

      Delete
  2. I like your idea of using protein powder! I have to give it a try.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anya! Let me know how it goes for you if you try it and comment back with a link to your post about it! :-)

      Delete