Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chocolate Blueberry Bread with Quinoa and Amaranth Flours


This is a healthy, nutty tasting bar, I think from the amaranth flour.  Like something "decadent" you might get in the vegan section of a health foods store.  If you like amaranth, you will almost certainly enjoy this bread, and even if you're not a fan, you still might like it.  I had bought the amaranth flour a few weeks back and been planning to experiment with it for a while.  Finally, I had some free time so I opened the bag of amaranth flour, and I realized that I don't like the smell of amaranth.  For this reason, even when baked, the bread seemed slightly less appealing to me than it might otherwise have been.  However, I love, love, love blueberries and chocolate, so I was able to tolerate the first slice or so of the bread.  I then left it out on the kitchen counter, and I guess overnight the smell dissipated and the flavors melded, and so the next day, I thought it tasted good, and the third day, I thought the bread tasted delicious - still healthy, though - it looks like a dessert but doesn't taste like one!

The gooey-ness of the blueberries and chocolate in the final loaf was retained for a few days after the baking process was complete.  This is a moist, healthy and nutty-tasting loaf.

To make it, you'll need:
  • 1 1/2 cups oat flour
  • 3/4 cup quinoa flour
  • 3/4 cup amaranth flour
  • 2-3 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 container beer (I used New Grist)
  • Blueberries (I used ~1 cup frozen)
  • Chocolate chunks (I used 1/2 of a 90% cacao Lindt bar) 
  • Salt and sweetener to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Mix the first 4 dry ingredients and fluff with a fork.  Add the beer and stir until clumps dissolve.  
  3. Add remaining ingredients, then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
  4. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until tester comes out without bread on it (some chocolate or blueberry will be inevitable).
  5. Enjoy!  
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like our wild blueberry bread or spiced plum muffins!




1 comment:

  1. what is the measurement for the New Grist beer; i.e., is it 1 cup? 16 ounces? 1 gallon? please advise, thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete