Monday, March 12, 2012

Roasted overnight kasha groats (buckwheat)

 After the success of an earlier experiment with overnight oats, I decided to give another overnight grain cereal a go.  This is my favorite overnight cereal so far.  I had picked up a box of buckwheat kasha from the grocer (I used Wolff's brand), mixed it with almond milk, salt, sweetener, and cinnamon, gave the mixture a stir, and let it sit, covered in the fridge overnight.  In the morning I had a lovely nutty breakfast treat.  It was a very satisfying meal, but not heavy, and I'll definitely be making it again.

You will need:
  • Kasha
  • Milk of choice (I used unsweetened vanilla Almond)
  • Cinnamon
  • Sweetener of choice (I used stevia)
  • Salt (you will definitely need at least a pinch here to get the flavors to sing)
  1. Mix milk and kasha according to directions on box.  You can add a bit of extra milk if you like, a lot can get absorbed overnight.  I think I used a ratio of about 1 part kasha to 4 parts milk.
  2. Add the cinnamon, sweetener, and salt to taste and stir.
  3. Cover and let sit in fridge overnight.
  4. Enjoy!





1 comment: