However, you can upgrade this dessert to make it luscious and rich dessert: use a fattier milk (such as full-fat coconut) and a lot of sugar/sweetener. If you try variants on the basic pudding, let me know how it goes!
To make a simple rice pudding in your slow cooker, you will need:
- 1-1 1/2 cups rice (I used white basmati, but brown would work well here too, and be healthier!)
- Diced dried fruit of choice (I used plum amazins; raisins are also really good here), to taste
- 2-3 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 cups or so of milk of choice (I used Almond breeze)
- Sweetener to taste
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray or butter it up! I used a 1.5 quart slow cooker here, and it was at least 3/4 full... if you are using a different size cooker, adjust the quantities of everything else accordingly.
- Add all ingredients to the cooker.
- Cook everything on low for a few hours, until the rice is cooked! (In my cooker this took ~3 hours, but really the time will depend so much on your individual crock...)
This recipe was inspired by Anupy Singla.