Saturday, February 4, 2012

Moist Cake Brownies


These moist, delicious brownies just might be healthy!  Well, they're almost healthy.  They're made with black beans(!) instead of white flour, so they have more fiber and protein and fewer carbohydrates than your average brownie.  You don't taste the black beans, though, I swear!  The brownies taste like a nice rich slice of cake.  They are so easy to make!  I found this wonderful recipe on the wonderful site Chocolate and Carrots, and I made only simple changes-I used brown sugar instead of white, and less of it than in the orginal recipe, I omitted chocolate chips (I didn't have any around, but I'm sure they would have been divine sprinkled on top!), and I added instant coffee granules for espresso/mocha flavor.  To bake a batch today, you will need:
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained black beans (I had freshly cooked beans ready, but a 19oz can will do)
  • 1/4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark, but a fancy brand like Valhrona would work really well here!)
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1 egg white
  • 3 tablespoons of oil
  • a few drops of vanilla extract
  • a spoonful or so of instant coffee powder
  • sweetener to taste - if you are using table sugar, use between 1/2 and 2/3 cup
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Blend all of the ingredients together.  
  3. Pour into greased 8x8 pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
  4. Let cool a bit, and enjoy!

The brownie stack.

The view from above.



3 comments:

  1. These brownies look delicious. I like that they are made with black beans--how creative! If you get a chance, I would love for you to share this recipe tomorrow on Allergy-Free Wednesdays at: http://www.glutenfreepantry.blogspot.com/p/allergy-free-wednesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,

      Thank you! I thought the brownies were quite decadent, in a dark chocolate cake sense. I would love to share the recipe! (I'm also definitely planning to bake the brownies again!) What do I need to do?

      Best wishes,

      Veggie Wonder

      Delete
  2. Oh wow these look really nice :)

    ReplyDelete