Sunday, February 5, 2012

Peanut Butter Muffin Flats


I made these yummy muffin flats today when I found myself with a handful of chickpeas.  Yes, chickpeas!  These muffin flats are healthy, vegan treats, inspired by the adventures of Chocolate Covered Katie.  I didn't have quite enough chickpeas to follow a recipe, so I devised my own.  Fortunately with experimental vegan baking it's safe to taste the batter and adjust the ingredients, etc. until things seem about right.  The imprecision of this process is strangely liberating.  Try it some time!  If you fiddle around with this recipe, let me know how it goes!  To follow suit you will need:
  • 1 cup of cooked chickpeas (mine had been accidentally overcooked - great for baking!)
  • 1/4 cup of peanut butter, approximately (or more or less depending on how strong of a pb-taste you prefer)
  • spoonful of baking powder
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of flour of choice (I used whole wheat, but you could easily use oat for a g-f version)
  • 1/2 cup or so of nut milk (or real milk, for a non-vegan version)
  • salt, sweetener, and cinnamon to taste (I used a dash of salt and cinnamon and 5 stevia packets)
  • a few drops of vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Put dry ingredients and vanilla in a blender, then add nut milk until there is enough liquid in the mix for the blender to do its thing without burning up (I have a simple hand blender).
  3. Blend everything until smooth.
  4. Taste and adjust seasoning.  The batter should be fairly thick; if it appears too thin, add more flour, and if it's too thick, add more milk.
  5. Pour into lined muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
  6. Enjoy!
This recipe makes 6 muffin flats.










No comments:

Post a Comment